21 March 2009
Distinguished personalities from the field of law, academicians, lawyers, protagonists from the Albanian politics, experts of the constitutional law from Italy and Kosova attended the International Conference “The Constitutional System and its Challenges”, organized on the occasion of the tenth anniversary of drafting of the Constitution of the Republic of Albania. The first activity organized in Shkodra shall be followed by two other conferences in Vlora and Tirana in the context of the project “Ten Years of Constitution: Achievements and Perspectives”, run by the Open Society Foundation for Albania (OSFA) in co-operation with the Faculties of Law in the three main cities of the country.
Adressing the Conference were Prof. Rexhep Meidani, Prof. Luan Omari, Prof. Fatmir Vadahi, (Deputy Rector of the “Luigj Gurakuqi” University), MA Igli Totozani, Prof. Aurela Anastasi, Mrs. Vjollca Meçaj, Prof. Niccolo Persiani, (University of Firenze, (Italy), Prof. Beqir Sadikaj, (Faculty of Law, University of Prishtina, Kosova) as well as professors at the facuty of law in Shkodra University Gaspër Kokaj, Entela Hoxhaj, Ilir Berhani, Sandër Beci, Irma Baraku, Roland Ilia, Dr.Paulina Hoti, Ilir Duhanxhiu, and others.
Participants in this acitivity dwelt on important aspects of implementation of the Constitution and the concerns rising in functioning of institutions. The following topics were of a particular interest:
- Role of the Constitution in the organization of the political system.
- The Italian constitutional order.
- Constitutional developments in Albania.
- Principle of the division of powers.
- Constitutional developments in Kosova.
- Constitutional changes for the electoral system.
- The integration character of the Constitution of the Republic of Albania; sustainability of its values in the context of its membership in the EU.
- Procedures of the consitutional review in the Republic of Albania; practices.
- Role of the Constitutional Court for interpretation of the constitutional norms.
- The political system pursuant to the Constitution of Kosova.
- The institutional guarantee of the economic freedoms in the Constitution of the Republic of Albania.
- The conflict of interest provided for in the Law no. 10034, dated 22/12/2008 “On the High State Administration Officials and Elected Indivisuals”, from the Constitutional Court.
- The Council of Ministers, pursuant to the Constitution of the Republic of Albania and the Constitutional amendments.
- Position of the General Prosector in the Constitution of the Republic of Albania.
- Principles of the criminal cases and the Constitution.
- The constitutional guarantee of the civil procedure rights in the Constitution of the Republic of Albania.
- The constitutional guarantee of human rights in the Constitution of the Republic of Albania.
All the speeches were accompanied by debates from the participants, including students of law, representatives from the courts and the prosecution offices, media and civil society representatives. At the end, the organisers shall prepare a detailed study and shall draft some recommnadations to be submitted to the highest ranking bodies of the Albanian state and to the independent constitutional institutions.