and local level public administrations in Albania are facing a number
of challenges relating to decentralization, civic participation
in governance; increase of the transparency of their workings vis-à-vis
the public, etc. These challenges form the essence of the Soros
three year strategy on Good Governance in Albania. Some of the main
objectives under this strategy are:
- putting in place an open, participatory,
effective and efficient process of policy and law making;
- putting constant pressure to bear on the authorities for fair
trail proceedings and access to justice;
- increasing civic participation in governance through the deepening
of decentralization processes.
Part of these objectives forms the axis
of projects implemented by NOSA partners such as Co-Plan, Institute
of Contemporary Studies, Institute of International Studies, etc.
OSFA is directly involved in issues relating to:
• Monitoring of governmental budgets
• Increasing the transparency of public institutions;
• Advocating for certain issues and pressuring for change;
• Strengthening the capacities of local government units and
of civil society organizations.