The Network of Open Society for Albania -NOSA- represents a get-together of eight non-governmental and non-profit organizations.
The values holding the network together are:
- Democracy and rule of law;
- Human rights and freedoms, non-discrimination of minorities and diversity of thinking;
- A vital civil society to monitor government and watch over the division of powers;
- A functional market economy in which business and government are equal partners.
Following two years of preparations, NOSA became operational in January 2006 upon the initiative of and funding provided by the Open Society Institute created by George Soros.
NOSA aims to influence the formulation of strategic visions for the country’s development and the design of public policies, as well as to support civic activism towards the implementation of these visions and policies.
The network will strive to attain its objectives through:
Acting as a catalyst for public policy formulation;
- Advocating for and supporting pressure groups to increase civic participation;
- Mediating among/between stakeholders towards common civic initiatives.
The network represents an operational arrangement with a small-scale grant-making facility.