NOSA considers public debates and discussions to be an important
tool for increasing civic participation in providing alternative
solutions to the country’s life. As an implementer of
the NOSA civil society strategy, the movement MJAFT staged
in the period of January-June a number of public debates in
Tirana and in the main towns and districts of Albania. Activities
were focused on the attainment of two main objectives:
- educating the public with the spirit and culture of debate
- holding public debates between the citizens and decision
During the period of April-May debate tours were held with
hundreds of young people from the high schools of Tirana,
Shkodra, Puka, Granshi, Korca, Elbasani, Gjirokastra, Saranda,
Vlora, Berati, Fieri, Permeti, Kucova, Lushnja and Durresi.
The activity culminated with the holding of the National Debate
Tournament with the participation of the best teams represented
by 30 high schools from 15 towns of Albania.
The topics of the debates included:
- economic development versus environmental protection,
- women participation in politics,
- the state Matura,
- legalization of extra legal buildings.
To hold the public debates between the citizens and decision
makers a forum was created to allow the exchange of ideas
between the various stakeholders all across the various strata
of the Albanian population. The discussions strived to achieve
the following objectives:
- building awareness and providing information to the citizens,
- increasing civic participation in the deliberation of issues
- narrowing the gap between the government and the citizens.